Reporting directly to the Partners of LHD Benefit Advisors and serving as an integral member of the senior leadership team, the Chief Operating Officer will be a strategic thought-partner responsible for the establishment of the organization’s operational management strategies and the implementation of strategic initiatives. This position will play a critical role in strategic decision making as LHD strives to create a workplace that includes a more clearly defined set of operating policies and procedures, with the end goal of added efficiency and increased capacity. In addition to the strategic responsibilities, this position will also be responsible for the management of Client Resources, Human Resources, Office Administration and the Facilities.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Responsible for thought leadership and change management necessary to ensure that the client service operations are efficient and effective. This includes the establishment of consistent operating policies and procedures company-wide, which will allow LHD to add staff and “build scale” into the desired operating model.
- Responsible for the planning, coordination and execution of LHD’s use of third-party tools and software platforms, including the employee benefit administration platform(s), the various UBA tools, and all other tools that are being used to perform daily tasks.
- Oversee the Human Resource operations, including but not limited to, efficient recruiting practices, strategic hiring of new staff, new employee on-boarding and terminations, effective compensation management, timely performance evaluation, and the ongoing training and development of staff.
- Oversee the Population Health operations, providing operational guidance, system support and thought leadership as appropriate.
- Work closely and transparently with external clients, third party vendors and outside consultants; providing an organizational contact for administrative and operational matters.
- Responsible for managing the Population Health, Health and Welfare and Human Resource operations staff (s); develop and mentor staff as appropriate.
- Manage the organization’s office suite, facilities and other assets needed to assure business continuity (phone systems, furniture, fixtures, supplies, etc).
- Working closely with LHD’s Security Officer, responsible for providing a safe and secure work environment for all staff, including the oversight of emergency response policies and procedures, and the enforcement of home office security protocols.
- Responsible for managing the Office staff (s); develop, provide operational support and mentor staff as appropriate.
Strategy, Vision and Special Projects
- Responsible for assisting in the overall management of the company as a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Sales Committee and all other strategic initiatives as deemed appropriate.
- Complete Special Projects as agreed upon by the Executive Leadership team.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality; promote and ensure that the focus remain on the organization’s mission and that a commitment to superior customer service is emphasized and maintained.
This position is a leadership role within the LHD organization and will be responsible for directly supervising others, with opportunity to influence and/or mentor individuals both inside and outside the company.
This position has access to confidential and proprietary information of all sorts, which will require exceptional confidentiality to protect the privacy of the employees, customers, clients and the intellectual property of the company.
Must be able to make decisions concerning ongoing projects with regard to priority and be disciplined and organized in the efficient use of time.
This position requires superior judgment regarding decisions that could potentially impact internal operations and external customers.
This position has financial authority in various areas including, but not limited to, check signing authority for the disbursement of funds and the authority to represent the organization in financial matters as needed.
This position has contact with staff at multiple levels within the organization, up to and including senior leadership. The successful applicant must be able to communicate well with all LHD employees, external clients and customers.
- Trustworthy, high integrity and proven leadership qualities
- Ownership, dependability and accountability
- Self-reliant, a proven problem solver and results oriented
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multi-task
- Internally driven and self-motivated
Minimum Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Operations or Finance required
- 10+ years of experience in a management role, with proven success in leading planning efforts and managing operationally effective organizations
- Demonstrated experience in Human Resource administration and corporate governance desired
- Prior supervisory experience highly desired
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical administrative initiatives
- Passion for LHD’s mission and ongoing commitment to outstanding customer service